[ReviewAZON asin=”B002TX72TI”]Stay connected to the people, places, and things that matter most with the BlackBerry Storm2 from Verizon Wireless, the second generation of RIM’s innovative and award-winning touchscreen smartphone. Featuring the BlackBerry OS 5.0, the Storm2 is enhanced with an improved touchscreen platform, larger internal memory (now 2 GB), Wi-Fi networking capabilities (802.11b/g), and hundreds of hardware and software enhancements. And whether traveling to Europe or Asia, the Storm2 provides globetrotters the freedom of reliable global connectivity with the reliable Verizon Wireless high-speed 3G CDMA network here in the United States, and compatibility with GSM and 3G UMTS networks abroad.
The BlackBerry Storm2 offers an enhanced SurePress touchscreen display, Wi-Fi capabilities, and a solid BlackBerry smartphone messaging experience.
Enjoy fast cellular connectivity with the reliable Verizon Wireless 3G network and global GSM/3G connectivity when traveling abroad.
The Storm2 significantly improves the touchscreen interactivity with new SurePress technology, which is based on an electronic system that provides the user with tactile feedback when the touchscreen is pressed. The new system responds equally to gentle pressure applied anywhere on the surface of the screen and makes clicking the display practically effortless. It also offers multi-touch support, allowing you to type a letter with one thumb even while their other thumb may still be touching or resting on another letter, thus enabling faster typing and multi-key actions such as Shift or Alt-key combinations.
This mobile multimedia powerhouse is compatible with the V Cast Music with Rhapsody service, which enables you to purchase songs through your phone and download them via the fast Verizon Wireless 3G EV-DO data network, and the V CAST Video on Demand service that enables you to watch full-length TV shows plus news, sports, weather, and live entertainment video clips.
You’ll stay on course thanks to the VZ Navigator GPS turn-by-turn direction service, and be able to find your way in foreign destinations using the VZ Navigator Global service. And with the optional Visual Voice Mail service, you’ll be able to quickly and easily scroll through your messages and pick the ones you want to listen to. See more details on optional Verizon Wireless services below.
The elegantly designed Storm2 offers a smooth design and premium finish with sloped edges, chrome accents, glass lens and stainless steel backplate. Other features include a 3.2-megapixel camera/camcorder, Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, included 16 GB microSD memory card (with 16 GB maximum expansion), support for up to 10 personal and corporate email accounts, easy access to favorite social networking and instant messaging services, support for BlackBerry App World, and up to 5.5 hours of talk time.
- Fast 3G connectivity thanks to the reliable Verizon Wireless EV–DO, Rev A network
- Global roaming capabilities with data access in more than 185 destinations
- 3.25-inch, high-resolution capacitive touchscreen with multi-touch support and integrated functions including Send, End, Menu, Escape (480 x 360 pixels, 184ppi)
- New SurePress technology makes clicking the display practically effortless and provides greater consistency with tactile response across the whole screen. Use natural gestures such as pointing and clicking to interact with the features and applications.
- BlackBerry OS 5.0 includes typing accuracy and selection improvements, as well as usability and visual enhancements such as inertial scrolling, spin boxes that make it easier to set dates and times, gradient shading on buttons, and more use of animation.
- Support for BlackBerry App World featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include travel, productivity, entertainment, games, social networking and sharing, news and weather, and more.
- BlackBerry Internet Service offers easy access to up to 10 supported personal and work email accounts and one BlackBerry email account.
- Compatible with BlackBerry Enterprise Server for advanced security and IT administration features within IBM Lotus Domino, Microsoft Exchange, and Novell GroupWise environments. Customers running BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 will gain the ability to set follow-up flags, manage email folders, access remote files (Windows Shares), forward appointments, view calendar attachments, and more.
- View attachments including JPEG, Adobe PDF, and Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Social networking apps include Facebook for BlackBerry, Flickr Photo Uploader for BlackBerry, and MySpace for BlackBerry
- 3.2 megapixel camera with 2x digital zoom, autofocus, Image Stabilization (IS), and flash and video recording capabilities
- Digital audio and video playback
- BlackBerry Media Sync is built right into your BlackBerry Desktop Software and lets you sync your desktop iTunes or Windows Media Player music files with your BlackBerry smartphone. If you’re a Mac user, just choose the “media” option and you’re ready to sync your iTunes music collection from your BlackBerry smartphone onto your Mac.
- Integrated GPS for use with the BlackBerry Maps applications as well as other location-based applications and photo geotagging.
- VZ Navigator and VZ Navigator Global capable for voice-guided turn-by-turn directions and location services both in the United States and Western Europe.
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go
- Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity with stereo music streaming (A2DP) capabilities as well as hands-free headsets and car kits and tethering with your PC (with optional tethering plan). (Learn more)
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS text, MMS picture, and IM instant messaging (via popular services)
- 2 GB of onboard media storage
- Included 16 GB microSD card and compatibility with optional microSD cards up to 16 GB in size
- Voice dialing capabilities
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- Speakerphone for hands-free conference calling
The BlackBerry Storm2 weighs 5.5 ounces and measures 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.53 inches. Its 1400 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 5.5 hours of talk time, and up to 269 hours (11.2 days) of standby time while on the Verizon Wireless CDMA/EVDO Rev. A network (800/1900 MHz). When accessing GSM networks (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) while abroad, the Storm2 offers up to 5 hours of talk time and 305 hours (12.7 days) of standby time, and up to 6 hours of talk time and 281 hours (11.7 days) of standby time when running on a 3G UMTS network (2100 MHz).
What’s in the Box
BlackBerry Storm2 handset, 16 GB microSD memory card, rechargeable battery, microUSB international charger with international clips, USB cable, wired 3.5mm stereo headset, pre-installed SIM card, quick reference guide, documentation kit, global support kit
- Global Roaming Capabilities: With this mobile phone, you can connect to wireless networks from Europe to South America to Asia thanks to its quad-band GSM/EDGE/GPRS connectivity as well as high-speed 3G HSPA compatibility (2100 MHz networks). It comes pre-installed with a SIM card, so customers who plan to travel abroad can activate global service at the time of purchase or by calling Verizon Wireless prior to leaving the U.S. For those who travel abroad frequently, the Verizon Wireless Global Value Plan offers discounted roaming capabilities with data access in more than 185 destinations.
- VZ Navigator with Global Capability: With this GPS-enabled phone, you’ll be able to access the Verizon Wireless VZ Navigator service (additional charges applicable) for voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions, heads-up alerts, local search of nearly 14 million points of interest in the US (such as landmarks, restaurants and ATMs), and detailed color maps.
Additionally, this phone is compatible with the VZ Navigator Global service, which enables you to find locations and access turn-by-turn directions in North America and Western Europe, including Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom (with more being added). Helping to alleviate stress or confusion caused by reading road signs or directions in an unfamiliar language, VZ Navigator Global allows you to choose either English or Spanish as the default language, and miles or kilometers to mark distances. You’ll also be able to find restaurants, gas stations, banks/ATMs and other popular spots in these countries using Local Search.
- V CAST Music with Rhapsody: Access this exclusive digital music service for RealNetworks and MTV Networks, which delivers unlimited monthly access to music on up to three Rhapsody-compatible mobile phones and players and online on multiple PCs and Web browsers. For a monthly fee (billed on your Verizon Wireless bill), you can load and reload your subscription songs from your PC to your V CAST Music with Rhapsody phone as often as you want, and take your music on the go.
On PCs running the Windows XP or higher operating system, you can also browse, preview, and purchase music using the V CAST Music with Rhapsody software, which is available as a free download from the V CAST Music with Rhapsody download website. Additional subscription charges applicable.
- V CAST Video on Demand: This optional service enables you to watch full-length TV shows plus news, sports, weather, and live entertainment video clips. It features more than 100 full-length programs from leading broadcast and cable networks, ranging from highly-rated drama and comedy series to reality programs and children’s programming. V CAST Video on Demand also delivers live sporting events, including NHL hockey games and an upcoming slate of college football games
The service offers unlimited viewing of Basic Videos and the ESPN MVP channel. You can choose from 14 categories, including Entertainment, Kids, Music, Sports, Comedy, News, Pop Culture, Information, Women, Latino, Home & Leisure, Multicultural, Cutting Edge, and Hollywood. Additional subscription charges applicable.
- Visual Voice Mail: This innovative service enables you to delete, reply and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions. Visual Voice Mail is the ideal tool for the busy mobile professional who may need to prioritize which messages he or she listens to first. Features include on-screen access to voice mail message status, the ability to save up to 40 messages for 40 days (or archive permanently), 10 different caller ID-based greetings, and reply via call back, text, or even voice mail.
- Mobile Broadband Connect: Use your smartphone as a modem for your notebook when you connect the two using a USB cable–or open a Bluetooth connection–enabling you to access the Internet or your company intranet. The Mobile Broadband Connect tethered modem capability is ideal when you’re traveling and need to use your notebook to check email, access corporate networks, or download large files like presentations and reports. And with Mobile Broadband Connect, you won’t have to buy an extra PC Card or other devices.
This phone provides Bluetooth wireless connectivity (version 2.1+EDR), and includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and file transfer. With the A2DP Bluetooth profile, you can stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock. You can connect your laptop (either via Bluetooth or wired USB) and enjoy dial-up networking–surf the Internet, send email, and access files from a server (additional charges applicable and subscription to Mobile Broadband Connect service required).
- Memory: 2 GB internal storage, 256 MB flash memory
- Memory expansion: microSD/SDHC cards (up to 16 GB); one 16 GB microSD card is included
- Digital audio compatibility: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA
- Digital video compatibility: MPEG4, WMV, H.263, H.264
- USB 2.0 connectivity (microUSB)
- 3.5mm headset/headphone jack
- Hearing Aid Compatibility = M3
- Password protection and screen lock
- Ring Tones: Polyphonic (MIDI/MP3) and vibrate mode
- Multi-lingual support: English, French and Spanish