Intuitively connecting you to the people, places, and online services that matter the most to you, the Nokia N8 smartphone debuts the new Symbian^3 operating system, featuring a wealth of personalization features, usability enhancements, and a faster and more responsive interface. The 3G-enabled N8 smartphone offers a 3.5-inch AMOLED touchscreen display, a 12-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics, Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking, and 16 GB of internal memory (with memory expansion up to 32 GB via optional microSD cards). It’s also compatible with 3G networks found on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
In addition to this model in silver, the N8 also comes in gray, green, blue, and orange.
With the 12-megapixel sensor and Carl Zeiss optics, you can capture great images as well as 720p high-definition video and then add music, images, text, and transitions before sharing them with the world. The Xenon flash allows you to take high quality pictures in low-light conditions as well.
The Nokia N8 provides access to local and global Web TV services that deliver TV programs, news, and entertainment from channels such as CNN, National Geographic, E! Entertainment and Paramount directly on the homescreen. It also offers a true home theater experience with Dolby Digital Plus surround sound. And you can plug the device to your home theatre system with an HDMI cable.
You’ll stay on track thanks to the integrated GPS with free Ovi Maps Navigation for voice-guided directions, and you can find nearby restaurants, landmarks, events and other points of interest as you travel from place to place. Keep on top of your emails from your phone or computer using the free Ovi Mail service, and discover and download apps and games via the pre-loaded Ovi Store–where you’ll find thousands of different applications to constantly upgrade and improve your device.
Update your status, share location and photos, and view live feeds from Facebook and Twitter in a single app directly on the home screen. Calendar events from social networks can also be transferred to the device calendar. Personalize your phone by adding your own widgets and configuring three live home screens, which you can swipe between with an easy gesture.
Other features include Bluetooth 3.0 for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, support for both personal and corporate e-mail, full browsing of real Web pages with pinch to zoom, multi-format music player, FM radio plus FM transmitter, accelerometer for screen switching and gameplay, Flash Lite 4 support, and up to 5.8 hours of 3G talk time.
This unlocked cell phone can be used with a GSM network service provider. It does not come with a SIM card, and it requires that you provide a SIM card for usage with your selected service provider. This phone comes with a full manufacturer’s warranty.
Twitter directly on the home screen.
When paired with a compatible 3G network, you’ll enjoy a high-speed connection offering a variety of feature-rich wireless services–from data connectivity to your office to multimedia streaming, and take advantage of simultaneous voice and data services. In areas not served by a 3G network, you’ll continue to receive data service via EDGE network (depending on network compatibility).
Note that the downloading of maps, games, music and videos and uploading of images and videos involves transferring large amounts of data. Your service provider may charge for the data transmission, and the availability of particular services and features may vary by carrier.
Symbian^3 Operating System
The Nokia N8 marks the global device debut of the new Symbian^3 software, enabling you to enjoy over 250 new features, including:
- Usability enhancements across the user interface, including single tap, multi-touch and support for gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom.”
- Three personalizable homescreens, easily maneuvered through by a simple flick.
- Faster and more responsive user interface with new 2D and 3D graphics architecture that takes full advantage of hardware acceleration
- More efficient memory management allows more applications to run in parallel for a faster, more complete, and efficient multi-tasking experience. And a new visual task manager lets you switch apps with a swipe and a tap.
- Intelligent network management tailors performance to the your needs: optimizing for high speed when uploading photos or smooth streaming for a VoIP call or video feed.
- Fast 3G connectivity on both AT&T and T-Mobile with broadband-like speeds via 850/900/1700/1900/2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA (with EDGE data connectivity where 3G not available).
- Integrated assisted GPS (A-GPS) receiver with free Ovi Maps enables you to find your route quickly and easily, whether walking or driving. Use the Walk pedestrian navigation to find your way, or the voice-guided Drive navigation to find the best route. (Learn more)
- 3.5-inch capacitive AMOLED touchscreen display (640 x 360 pixels, 16.7 million colors) with proximity and orientation sensors, ambient light detector, and compass (magnetometer).
- On-screen alphanumeric keypad and full keyboard
- Three fully customizable home screens allows you to make one for work, use one for fun, and have one with your favorite picture as the wallpaper.
- Instant access to Ovi Store for downloadable apps, games and other cool content
- Web TV delivers local and global TV favorites right to the home screen. Access your favorite TV channels like Paramount and National Geographic.
- HDMI audio/video output for connecting to compatible HDTVs and external monitors
- Dolby Digital Plus Surround Sound compatible with home theatre systems
- Anodized aluminum casing
- 12-megapixel autofocus camera with Carl Zeiss optics with Xenon flash, face recognition software, up to 2x digital zoom, automatic geotagging, and photo editor.
- 720p high-definition video capture with 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, 25 fps, 3x digital zoom, and settings for scene, video light, white balance, and color tone (shoots in MP4 and H.264 formats)
- Secondary camera on front for video calls (VGA, 640 x 480 pixels); requires compatible cellular service and additional charges may apply.
- Digital audio/video player with compatibility for MP3, WMA, and AAC/eAAC/eAAC+ audio formats, plus MP4, H.264, and 3GPP video formats and Flash Lite 4 streaming video.
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity provides faster throughput while minimizing on power requirements. It’s compatible with new Bluetooth 3.0-enabled devices as well as backward compatible with older Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as headsets and printers. It includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile–enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- 16 GB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Unified e-mail client with attachment support for images, videos, music and documents .doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf, and .zip; HTML support for e-mail
- Access to personal and corporate e-mail including: Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, Windows Live, Hotmail and other popular POP/IMAP services, Mail for Exchange, IBM Lotus traveler
- Instant messaging support including OVI Chat, Yahoo, AIM, Windows Live, Gtalk, MySpace
- Unified MMS/SMS editor plus conversational view for SMS
- Full web browsing of real web pages with pinch to zoom capabilities, RSS reader, and support for Flash Lite 4 (which provides compatibility with a majority of Flash Player 10.1 content)
- FM radio
- FM transmitter for playing stored music over an external radio
- Dedicated graphics processor for gaming with OpenGL 2.0 enables 3D graphics
- Organizer tools including calendar, to-do list, notes, voice recorder, calculator, and clock
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- Micro USB connector (version 2.0) with charging capabilities
- Integrated hands-free speaker
- Automatic switching between 3G and GSM bands
The Nokia N8 weighs 4.76 ounces and measures 4.47 x 2.32 x 0.51 inches. Its 1200 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 5.8 hours (350 minutes of 3G talk time (12 hours, or 720 minutes, of standard GSM talk time), and up to 400 hours (16.7 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies plus the 850/900/1700/1900/2100 3G frequencies (compatible with both AT&T and T-Mobile).
What’s in the Box
Nokia N8 handset, rechargeable battery (BL-4D), compact travel charger (AC-15), connectivity cable (CA-179), adapter for HDMI (CA-156), adapter for USB (CA-157), wired stereo headset (WH-701), quick start guide
Nokia now offers its Ovi Maps walk and drive navigation application free across the globe. Drivers receive turn-by-turn voice guidance including lane assistance, traffic information (in 10 countries including the U.S.), and safety camera and speed warnings, while pedestrians will be guided on shortcuts through parks and pedestrian-only zones in over 100 cities across the globe. And unlike other mobile navigation mapping solutions, Ovi Maps works offline–no cellular service is required.
With the new Ovi Maps for mobile you get for free:
- Maps for over 180 countries and free map updates
- Drive and Walk navigation available in over 70 countries with real-time voice guidance
- My Position enables you to find your current location easier and faster than ever.
- New one box search for quicker access to finding places and addresses.
- Save your favorite places and routes, then synchronize them with your Ovi account over the air.
- Car navigation with voice and visual instructions, lane assistance and speed limit information. Now also with text-to-speech voice guidance.
- Pedestrian navigation with routing through pedestrian zones and shortcuts, pathways through parks and buildings, stairways and plazas. Now with text-to-speech voice guidance.
- Get real-time weather information including a 5-day forecast, for your current or any location found via search.
- Lonely Planet and Michelin offer you dynamic access to the best and most relevant editorial travel content for over 1000 destinations. Find thousands of listings for sights, restaurants, hotels, shops, nightlife, and more. Look these places up on the map and get to them with Walk and Drive navigation.
- Discover the events happening nearby your location on the map or any place found via search.
- Share your location on Facebook–where you are, what you are up to and finish with a photo.
No Hidden Costs
The new version of Ovi Maps comes with all the maps and high-end, car grade navigation features you need for free and is yours to keep for the life of the smartphone. No additional licenses needed for extra countries, regions or services like traffic information or city guides. Data charges from network operators may apply.
Voice Guidance and Traffic Information
Turn-by-turn, voice guided navigation comes free for both drivers and pedestrians. For drivers this includes lane assistance, traffic information, safety camera, and speed warnings. For pedestrians, this includes shortcuts through parks and pedestrian-only zones for over 100 cities around the world as well as 6,000 3D landmarks in over 200 cities to help you find exactly where you are.
Unique Hybrid Technology
Ovi Maps is built on an advanced technology called hybrid vector maps. Vector maps are high quality but less data intensive and allow you to continue to navigate even if you lose your network connection. This means that maps downloaded or updated across a network connection are about half the size of bulky bitmaps used by other mobile map providers. The hybrid technology ensures that, unlike other providers, any downloaded map data is stored on the device for future use.
No Network Connection Required When Navigating
Avoid expensive, battery-draining network connections with Nokia’s unique hybrid technology. Maps can be pre-loaded on to your Nokia smartphone so you can set Ovi Maps to offline mode, saving battery power, and the navigation system will still work. This is particularly useful for those worried about data connection costs when travelling abroad or when you are travelling through areas with little or no network coverage.
Best Global Coverage
You take your mobile with you wherever you go in the world so, as standard, voice guided navigation for both pedestrians and drivers is available for 74 countries in 46 different languages and there are maps for over 180 countries. This gives you the best maps with the largest global coverage for free.